|

What is the 80/20 Rule in Decorating? A Simple Guide to Balancing Your Design Efforts

If you’re looking to decorate your home, you may have heard of the 80/20 rule. This rule is one of the interior design principles that can help you achieve a balanced and harmonious look in your space. The 80/20 rule, also known as the Pareto Principle, states that 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes. But what does the 80/20 rule in decorating indicate?

In this article, we will dive into the 80/20 Rule in Decorating:

  • what does it mean?
  • where does the 80/20 rule in decorating come from?
  • how can you implement the rule?

What is the 80/20 Rule?

The 80/20 rule, also known as the Pareto principle, is a concept that originated from the work of Italian economist Vilfredo Pareto. It states that 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes. In other words, 80% of the results are generated by 20% of the effort.

In decorating, this means, for example, that 80% of your room’s color scheme should be neutral, while 20% should be a pop of color. It also means that

Applying the 80/20 rule to your decorating can help you avoid overwhelming your space with too many colors or patterns. By sticking to a neutral palette for the majority of your room, you create a calming and cohesive atmosphere. The remaining 20% can be used to add interest and personality to your space through accent pieces, artwork, or textiles.

Whether you’re starting from scratch or looking to refresh your current decor, the 80/20 rule can be a helpful tool to keep in mind. By following this guideline, you can create a space that feels both stylish and comfortable, with just the right amount of color and pattern.

Applying the 80/20 Rule in Decorating

Here are multiple examples of how to apply the 80/20 rule in decorating and design.

Design

When designing a room, keep the 80/20 rule in mind to achieve balance. Start with a neutral base and add pops of color and pattern in the form of pillows, lamps, and accessories. Remember to keep it simple and not overcrowd the space.

Art

When decorating a room, consider using art as the 20% statement piece. Choose a piece of art that speaks to you and build the rest of the room around it. Use the colors in the art as inspiration for the rest of the room’s color scheme.

Colors

When choosing colors for your room, use the 80/20 rule to create a balanced look. Choose neutral colors for 80% of the room and use pops of color for the remaining 20%.

Walls

When painting a room, consider using a neutral color for 80% of the walls and a bold accent color for the remaining 20%. This will create visual interest and balance.

Contrast

When decorating a room, use contrast to create visual interest. Use the 80/20 rule to create a balanced look, but don’t be afraid to add contrast with bold colors or patterns.

Pillows, Lamps, Accessories

Use pillows, lamps, and accessories to add pops of color and pattern to your room. Remember to keep it simple and not overcrowd the space. Also, don’t overdo it with pillows on your couch, think about that approximately 20% of the surface should be covered with pillows.

Applying the 80/20 Rule in Decorating
Applying The 80/20 Rule In Decorating. Via Pinterest.

Frames

When hanging frames on the wall, use the 80/20 rule to create a balanced look. Use neutral frames for 80% of the wall and add a few bold frames for the remaining 20%.

Why the 80/20 Rule is Important

When it comes to decorating, the 80/20 rule is important because it can help you achieve success in your design. By focusing on the 20% of your design elements that will have the greatest impact, you can create a space that is both visually appealing and functional. This means that you can achieve your desired outcome with less effort and resources.

The 80/20 rule is also important because it helps you identify your best assets and use them efficiently. This means that you can focus on the elements of your space that are most important and make the most impact. By doing so, you can create a space that is both beautiful and functional, without wasting time or resources on elements that don’t contribute to your design goals.

Another reason why the 80/20 rule is important in decorating is that it helps you maximize the value of your design. By focusing on the elements that will have the greatest impact, you can create a space that is both visually appealing and functional. This means that you can create a space that is not only beautiful but also adds value to your home or business.

The 80/20 rule is based on the idea that 80% of your results come from 20% of your efforts. In terms of decorating, this means that 80% of the impact of your design comes from 20% of your design elements.

By focusing on these key elements, you can create a space that is both beautiful and functional, without wasting time or resources on elements that don’t contribute to your design goals.

Finally, the 80/20 rule is important in decorating because it helps you maintain focus on your design goals. By focusing on the elements that will have the greatest impact, you can create a space that is both visually appealing and functional. This means that you can avoid getting sidetracked by elements that don’t contribute to your design goals, and stay focused on creating a space that meets your needs and preferences.

In summary, the 80/20 rule is an important principle to keep in mind when decorating. By focusing on the elements that will have the greatest impact, you can create a space that is both visually appealing and functional, without wasting time or resources on elements that don’t contribute to your design goals.